Ohio County Public Library



Ohio County Public Library

African American Pythian Building

Places of Wheeling Icon
 ▶  WHEELING HISTORY  ▶  PLACES  ▶  HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE  ▶  ORGANIZATIONS  ▶  AFRICAN AMERICAN WHEELING

▼ The African American Pythian Building Quick Links

 ▼ History  |  ▼ Location   |   ▼ Images   |   ▼ Additional Resources 


The African American Pythian Building in Wheeling

Built in 1928 by the African American Pythian fraternal group, The Pythian Building continued in operation into the fifties. The Pythian Theatre, later called the Fedo Theatre, served the African-American community into the mid-1950s. In addition to facilities for the Pythian organization, the building contained a restaurant, initially called the Pythian Restaurant, but from 1938 on called The Palm Garden. The Pythian (sometimes Fraternity) Barbershop and the Friendship Billiard Parlor were other tenants.

African-American Knights of Pythias Group Erects New Building, 1928 (The Afro-American [Baltimore], March 17, 1928) 


 Location

 ▶ 1025 Chapline St., Wheeling


Images

African American Pythian Building


Additional Resources

Materials in the Library:
▶ Vertical File: Pythian Building, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.


African American Wheeling  |  Organizations  |  Historic Architecture  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer