Ohio County Public Library



Ohio County Public Library

Odd Fellows Hall

Places of Wheeling Icon
 ▶  WHEELING HISTORY  ▶  PLACES  ▶  HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE  |  ORGANIZATIONS

▼ Odd Fellows Hall Quick Links

 ▼ History  |  ▼ Location   |   ▼ Images   |   ▼ Additional Resources 


Odd Fellows Hall in Wheeling

The old Odd Fellows Hall was constructed on the corner of 12th and Chapline Streets in 1859. From 1863 to 1870, the building served as temporary quarters for Linsly Military Institute cadets, whose own building was being used as the capitol of the new state of West Virginia. Most of the original Odd Fellows Hall was destroyed by fire in 1950.

A more modern two-story Odd Fellows Hall now sits on the site. The corner space now houses the Metropolitan Citi Grill. It was the longtime site of Elby's Restaurant and later Lanos and Kraus Delicatessen. 


 Location

 ▶ SW corner of 12th and Chapline Streets (Original 1859 building destroyed by fire in 1950.)


Images

Odd Fellows Hall


Additional Resources

Materials in the Library:
▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Odd Fellows, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.


Organizations  |  Historic Architecture  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer