Find A Book

Phone: 304-232-0244

News  |  Calendar  |  Photo Gallery  |  FAQ  |  Ask a Librarian  |  Social Links

The Brown Collection of Photographs: 1-20

NOTICE: We are currently in the process of restructuring the “Wheeling History” section of our website. Much of the information previously available can still be accessed by using the search function at the top of the page. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience. Please check back regularly for updates.


Archives And Special Collections Button
▶  WHEELING HISTORY  ▶  ARCHIVES  ▶  PHOTOGRAPHS

▼ THE BROWN COLLECTION

The indexes of the Brown Photographs are organized by the dates on each picture. The dates may not reflect the actual date the photograph was taken, but it is relative to the subject. In many cases, they are are simply the date a building was constructed.
   ▶ Read more about the Brown Collection
PDF Download the Brown Finding Aid (pdf)

Brown Photograph Index: 1800-1842

Photo# Year Description  
#1
1800 This house was built by Ebenezer Zane about 1800. It was located at 11th and Main Streets. The Zane family setteled here in 1769 and founded Wheeling. Ebenezer Zane laid the first lot in 1793. BROWN PHOTO # 1: This house was built by Ebenezer Zane about 1800.  It was located at 11th and Main Streets.  The Zane family setteled here in 1769 and founded Wheeling.  Ebenezer Zane laid the first lot in 1793.
#2
1807 The Old Stone Church. BROWN PHOTO #2: The Old Stone Church
#3
1817 Stone Bridge at Elm Grove. It was remodeled several years ago and the fine lines were destroyed. It is still in use. BROWN PHOTO #3: Stone Bridge at Elm Grove. It was remodeled several years ago and the fine lines were destroyed. It is still in use.
#4
1817 The old bridge at the foot of the St. Clairsville Hill. BROWN PHOTO #4: The old bridge at the foot of the St. Clairsville Hill.
#5
1818 This old tavern was built by Samuel Carter and later sold to G.W. Stamm, grandfather of Mrs. O.W. Burdats. It stood opposite Wheeling Park on National Road. Many famous people stopped at this tavern, including Martin Van Buren in 1848. BROWN PHOTO #5: This old tavern was built by Samuel Carter and later sold to G.W. Stamm, grandfather of Mrs. O.W. Burdats. It stood opposite Wheeling Park on National Road. Many famous people stopped at this tavern, including Martin Van Buren in 1848.
#6
1820 Stone and brick toll houses stood every 15 miles on the old National Road, with milestones in between. This one still stands about 5 miles beyond West Alexander. BROWN PHOTO # 6: Stone and brick toll houses stood every 15 miles on the old National Road, with milestones in between. This one still stands about 5 miles beyond West Alexander.
#7
1822 The Market House and Town Hall cost $690. The Town Hall rooms were located on the second floor and slaves were bought and sold at this end. BROWN PHOTO #7: The Market House and Town Hall cost $690. The Town Hall rooms were located on the second floor and slaves were bought and sold at this end.
#8
1829 This building erected about 1829, was originally known as French's Tavern. It stood on the Southwest corner of Chapline and 14th Street. BROWN PHOTO #8: This building erected about 1829, was originally known as French's Tavern. It stood on the Southwest corner of Chapline and 14th Street.
#9
1831 The First Presbyterian Church located between 12th and 14th on Chapline Street. It was built in 1825 and still stands although the steeple has been removed. BROWN PHOTO #9: The First Presbyterian Church located between 12th and 14th on Chapline Street. It was built in 1825 and still stands although the steeple has been removed.
#10
1832 Interior of the Fourth Street Church. Jenny Lind sang from this rostrum. BROWN PHOTO #10: Interior of the Fourth Street Church. Jenny Lind sang from this rostrum.
#11
1832 The Old Fourth Street Church. Three churches were built on this site. This is the second, seating 2000. In the early days Chapline Street was known as Fourth Street. BROWN PHOTO #11: The Old Fourth Street Church. Three churches were built on this site. This is the second, seating 2000. In the early days Chapline Street was known as Fourth Street.
#12
1834 The Exchange Bank was located on the corner of 12th and Main Streets. BROWN PHOTO #12: The Exchange Bank was located on the corner of 12th and Main Streets.
#13
1835 Old Chambers House, Elm Grove. BROWN PHOTO #13: Old Chambers House, Elm Grove.
#14
1837 The Covered Bridge across the back river from the Island to Bridgeport was completed in 1837 by the Zane family. BROWN PHOTO #14: The Covered Bridge across the back river from the Island to Bridgeport was completed in 1837 by the Zane family.
#15
1837 Double house supposed to have been built by the Zane brothers in 1837, for the toll keepers of the wooden bridge that spanned the back river. It stood on Zane Street. BROWN PHOTO #15: Double house supposed to have been built by the Zane brothers in 1837, for the toll keepers of the wooden bridge that spanned the back river. It stood on Zane Street.
#16
1837 The Bridgeport entrance to the covered bridge over the back river. Notice the raised railroad crossing gate in the center. BROWN PHOTO #16: The Bridgeport entrance to the covered bridge over the back river. Notice the raised railroad crossing gate in the center.
#17
1837 The old wooden covered bridge that crossed the back river was started by Noah Zane in 1833 but he did live to see it completed four years later. BROWN PHOTO #17: The old wooden covered bridge that crossed the back river was started by Noah Zane in 1833 but he did live to see it completed four years later.
#18
1839 The Old County Jail, built in 1839, stood near 12th and Eoff Streets. BROWN PHOTO #18: The Old County Jail, built in 1839, stood near 12th and Eoff Streets.
#19
1839 The Old Court House. The cornerstone was laid April 10, 1839 by Ohio Lodge No. 1. This building was razed in 1900 and the Court Theatre structure erected at a cost of more than $170,000. BROWN PHOTO #19: The Old Court House. The cornerstone was laid April 10, 1839 by Ohio Lodge No. 1. This building was razed in 1900 and the Court Theatre structure erected at a cost of more than $170,000.
#20
1842 [Missing] Ad for the stage lines to Baltimore.  

Brown Collection  |  ▶ 1800-1842  |  ▶ 1849-1884  |  ▶ 1885-1887  |  ▶ 1888-1892  |  ▶ 1893-1911  |

The photos in this collection have been scanned to preserve as much of the artistic quality and style of the original. Content within these pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Ohio County Public Library. To obtain permission to publish these images or obtain a high resolution, unwatermarked copy of a photo from this collection, please make a request through the OCPL contact form.


Photographic Collections  |  Archives Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

Ohio County Public Library

The Ohio County Public Library serves all persons who live in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, which includes Hancock, Brooke, Ohio, Marshall, Wetzel and Tyler counties. Residents in Jefferson, Belmont and Monroe counties of Ohio and Washington, Greene and Allegheny counties of Pennsylvania may also receive library services. 

Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Friday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Saturday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Sunday: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.