Frederick Ziegler founded what became the Nail City Brewery at 33rd and Wetzel in 1855. A stock company took over in 1873, installing highly regarded master brewer Ernst Irion (from Cincinnati’s Gambrinus Brewery). Businessman Henry Schmulbach became the majority owner in 1881 and changed the name a year later. The Schmulbach Brewing Co. was in operation until 1914 when the Yost Law enacting state prohibition was ratified by the West Virginia State Legislature.
More history coming soon.
▶ 33rd Street and Lane H in South Wheeling
▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Breweries, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
OCPL appreciates the generosity and thoughtfulness of its many patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials to the Library. Because of the overwhelming number of items donated, the limited amount of staff time to handle these donations, and limited space to house the donated materials, OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations of books, historical materials, and other materials of value. Please read more about our Donation Policies: