Sign Up For News And Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:






Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Mobile Phone:

Ferry Boat Charon


Transportation in Wheeling Icon
▶  WHEELING HISTORY  ▶  TRANSPORTATION   ▶   RIVERBOATS

▼ Ferry Boat Charon Quicklinks

 ▼ History  |   ▼ Newspaper Articles   |   ▼ Images    


Ferry Boat Charon

The ferry boat "Charon" was built in 1889 and owned and operated by the Bellaire & Wheeling Ferry Co. The "Charon" was part of a two-boat fleet, along with the "Ruth Ann," that ran ferry service from Bellaire, Ohio, to the Forty-Third Street, Bloch Bros. Tobacco dock, Wheeling, W. Va., and to Seventh or Ferry Street, Benwood, W. Va. The building of the Bellaire-Benwood Bridge, which could accommodate traffic loads 10 times what the ferry boats could, would be the end of the business and the demise of the "Charon," which sideswiped a pillar on the bridge in the summer of 1929 and sank. 


Newspaper Articles

Bellaire-Wheeling Ferry Fights Bellaire-Benwood Bridge, Charon sinks, Wheeling Intelligencer, June 1929 


Image

The Ferry at Bellaire


Riverboats  |  Transportation  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

-Information on this page compiled by erothenbuehler
Services and Locations