Find A Book

Phone: 304-232-0244

News  |  Calendar  |  Photo Gallery  |  FAQ  |  Ask a Librarian  |  Social Links

Glass Industry in Wheeling in 1886

- from The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer, September 14, 1886
 

THE GLASS HOUSES


A MARVELOUS ARRAY OF WORKS


In the Vicinity — Producing Glass of all Kinds, Shapes and Colors, for all Uses.
The Growth of the Glass Industry for its Earliest Introduction.


Around Wheeling has grown up in the past generation a glass production industry which rivals in importance and extent any other branch of manufacture in the Ohio Valley. Wheeling herself has three glass houses, with a total of seven furnaces and over eighty pots. These three factories give employment to nearly 1,500 men in various branches of their work, and probably support of the city's population. In addition to these, one of the Wheeling companies owns and operates a factory on the Ohio side of the river. Another that side is operated and largely owned by Wheeling men, still another is almost entirely managed and partially owned by men residing in the city and ot the eighteen glass houses in the Wheeling district, exclusive of this city and Steubenville, more than half, in addition to those already referred to, are largely represented in their stockholders and official boards by Wheeling people.


BEGINNING OF THE INDUSTRY


The glass making industry dates its origin in this city back nearly two generations. As long ago as fifty years, the South Wheeling works were established, and several years after were purchased by Messrs. Hobbs & Barnes. As early as 1834 Martin's Ferry had a glass factory. The predecessors of the present Central Company began operations in 1863. The North Wheeling Glass Works was originally a window glass factory, but has been in operation more than a decade as a bottle works. The leading product of Wheeling in late years, however, has been pressed table ware, and the industry in its present development may be said to have started in the active season during the sixties. At the Centennial exposition at Philadelphia in 1876 the first piece of glassware ever pressed was a part of the fine exhibit of Hobbs, Brockunier & Co., of this city. The first glass made on this continent was made in 1608 in Virginia and the first manufactured article ever exported was this glass, which was sent back to England. At that time the art of glass making was but imperfectly practiced in England. In 1815 a glass works was established in Wellsburg. In 1820 this works made $20,000 worth of ware. Eastern Virginia had ceased to manufacture glass before this Wellsburg works was started. In 1831 there were two factories at Wellsburg and one, having six pots, in Wheeling, besides two window glass works in this city. In 1840 Wheeling had three glass houses and Wellsburg but one.


IT'S HEALTHY GROWTH.


As exactly as can be ascertained, the first glass works in Wheeling was a window glass factory built in 1821. In 1829 John and Craig Ritchie built a cut glass factory on the side of the hill in what is now the Second ward. This factory won a wide reputation. As early as 1835 the advantages of Wheeling in the way of cheap fuel and transportation became apparent , and the Messrs. Sweeney built a large flint glass house in the north end of town. A few years later Plunkett & Miller built the factory which afterwards became the South Wheeling works. Messrs. J. L. Hobbs and J. H. Hobbs, father and son, became identified with these works in 1845, and the latter has been uninterruptedly connected with the concern since. In 1864, Mr. Wm Leighton, jr., of this factory made an improvement in the composition of lime glass which had an important effect on the making of glass the world over. Prior to that time lime glass had been abandoned or relegated to inferior grades of goods, but Mr. Leighton's discovery rendered it again available for the finest classes of glassware. It was cheaper than flint glass, and its equal. It has the advantage of less weight. Thus to Wheeling, which has made such innovations in the iron and nail industries, must also be given the credit of a decided improvement in glass.

In 1880, Wheeling had three glass houses, with seven furnaces and seventy-two pots. They had a combined capital of %500,522, employed 818 hands, paid in wages during the year $296,450, used $192,564 worth of raw material, and produced $714,000 worth of ware.


THE GLASS TRADE.


The glass trade is possibly of as much benefit to the city in general as any other one branch of manufacture. The wares turned out by her factories are excelled nowhere in excellence of quality, beauty of design of brilliance of hue. Her manufacturers long ago took the lead in the business, and have never fallen behind. New ideas in processes and product have been introduced, and the Wheeling glass ware rivals in many respects the costliest brought from abroad: The city is thus celebrated far and wide, for her glass goes not only all over this continent and to Cuba, but is sold even in Europe, under the shadow of the factories which were engaged in making glass when America was discovered.

At certain seasons of the year leading jobbers and users of glassware from every city of commercial importance in the country come to Wheeling to visit the factories of the of the vicinity, inspect the goods in their warehouses, and lay in their stocks for the season. The methods of the trade are unique, and have grown with the growth of the industry.

The daily average of wages here exceeds that of other glass making points. The number of employes engaged in the business in Wheeling compose 4 percent of those of the country. The production of her factories is valued at 7.82 percent of of the value of the entire glass product of the United States. West Virginia, among the lowest states in population in the country, is the ninth in her glass production. In this as in other industries, however, no line can be drawn between the industry in Wheeling and that in the neighboring towns. They are one in interest, one in results, almost one in reality.
 


Glass  |  Wheeling Businesses  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

Ohio County Public Library

The Ohio County Public Library serves all persons who live in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, which includes Hancock, Brooke, Ohio, Marshall, Wetzel and Tyler counties. Residents in Jefferson, Belmont and Monroe counties of Ohio and Washington, Greene and Allegheny counties of Pennsylvania may also receive library services. 

52 16th Street
Wheeling WV 26003
Phone: 304-232-0244
Fax: 304-232-6848

Map & Directions
E-mail Us

Current Job Openings

Materials Donation Policy

Monday - Thursday: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Friday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Saturday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Sunday: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.