Princesses who Rock and Classroom High Jinks: Book Recommendations for Elementary Age Kids
Posted: April 24, 2020, 3:03PM
Laura Carroll is the Archivist at the OCPL, but she also has an 8-year-old who loves to read. She’s teamed up with Lee Ann, the OPCL Children’s Specialist, to recommend some titles for elementary-age kids to enjoy at home.
Kid: “I’m bored!!”
Parent / Guardian (patience slowly trickling down to a dangerous low): “Why don’t you read a book?”
Kid: “But I’ve read all my books!”
If this sounds familiar, read on for some relief...
We know it's hard not being able to pick up new books during your regular library visits. We all miss seeing you too! Luckily, through the library’s databases of ebook and audiobooks, you can recreate the beautiful silence of that car ride home when everyone has their fresh new books and there is a moment of peace.
Through both WV Deli and Hoopla apps, [Click here to access [email protected] for Kids] my son has been able to continue to read some of his favorite series (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Captain Underpants and Dog Man), and find a few new ones as well.
Below are some of our recommendations for elementary school-age kids:
Note: this list leans heavily on humor, adventure, and silliness, so be prepared to hear your kids laugh out loud while reading (which is one of the best sounds really!) We’re not reading any classics over here at this point, and that’s okay! Reading for fun and laughs at an early age can develop into a love of reading that will serve your child as their tastes mature and interests change.
After each entry, we've indicated which app holds the titles - Hoopla or WV Deli or sometimes both. You may have to go on the holds list for WV Deli items, but the great thing about Hoopla is that there are no holds - if you see the title, it is available! Another thing to note for WV Deli is you can return your books early when you are done - that way someone else who is waiting can get the title quicker! Use the Libby app from Overdrive (for iPhones: App Store | for Android phones: Google Play) to access and download titles from WV Deli right on your phone or tablet.
These are some of the classics in this type of genre, which if your kid is a reader, they’ve probably already made their way through these:
- Dog Man Series by Dav Pilkey **Available on WV Deli**
- Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey **Available on WV Deli**
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series by Jeff Kinney **Available on WV Deli and Hoopla**
- Big Nate by Lincoln Pierce **Available on WV Deli and Hoopla**
Here are some other titles and series that are newer, lesser-known, or just not as popular, that will get your kids back in the reading groove:
- 13-Story Treehouse Series by Andy Griffiths and illustrated by Terry Denton
[Andy and Terry live in a treehouse. But it's not just any old treehouse, it's the most amazing treehouse in the world!] **Available on WV Deli**
- Amulet Series by Kazu Kibuishi [After tragedy strikes their family, Emily and Navin are led into a world of robots, talking animals, flying ships, new friends... and enemies.] **Available on WV Deli**
- The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels by Gale Galligan, Raina Telgemeier, Ann M. Martin [Join Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia, Stacey, Dawn, and Mallory on their babysitting adventures! Perfect for newcomers and longtime fans, the graphic novel adaptations perfectly capture all the drama and humor of the original novels by Ann M. Martin.] **Available on WV Deli**
- The Baby-Sitters Little Sister by Karen Farina and Ann M. Martin [A new spin-off series from The Baby-sitters Club features Kristy's little stepsister, Karen and her adventures.] **Available on WV Deli**
- Bad Guys series by Aaron Blabey [They may look like Bad Guys, but these wannabe heroes are doing good deeds...whether you like it or not! ] **Available on WV Deli**
- Dork Diaries by Rachel Renee Russell [Series features Nikki Maxwell, who chronicles the highs and lows of middle school life in her diaries with text and art!] **Available on WV Deli**
- Dragon Masters series by Tracey West [Drake never thought dragons were real until he was chosen to train his very own dragon] **Available on WV Deli**
- Geronimo Stilton by Geronimo Stilton [Geronimo is a mouse who lives in New Mouse City on Mouse Island and works as a journalist and editor for the fictional newspaper The Rodent's Gazette.] **Available on WV Deli and Hoopla**
- Hilo series by Judd Winick [DJ and Gina and are totally ordinary kids. But Hilo isn't. Hilo doesn't know where he came from or what he's doing on Earth.] **Available on WV Deli**
- Jedi Academy Series by multiple authors [Whether you're familiar with Star Wars or you're new to the galaxy, you're sure to enjoy the heartfelt and hilarious high jinks happening in this abnormal academy far far away.] **Available on WV Deli**
- Lucy and Andy Neanderthal series by Jeffrey Brown [Every day is a snow day for Lucy & Andy! But life in the Ice Age isn't all fun and games.] **Available on WV Deli**
- Max and the Midknights by Lincoln Peirce
[Max wants to be a knight! Magic and (mis)adventures abound in this hilarious illustrated novel from the New York Times bestselling creator of the Big Nate series, Lincoln Peirce.] **Available on WV Deli**
- Owl Diaries series by Rebecca Elliot [An adorable early chapter book series for kids who love friendship stories starring animal characters] **Available on WV Deli**
- Princess in Black by Dean Hale and Shannon Hale [Who says princesses can't wear black? When trouble raises its blue monster head, Princess Magnolia ditches her flouncy dresses and becomes the Princess in Black.] **Available on WV Deli**
- Timmy Failure series by Stephan Pastis [now a series on Disney + . Timmy is the clueless, comically self-confident CEO of the best detective agency in town, and with his impressively lazy business partner, a very large polar bear named Total, what you have is Total Failure, Inc. ] **Available on WV Deli**
- My Weird School series by Dan Gutman [There are several sets in this long-running series featuring A.J. and his friends and their hilarious adventures - perfect for reluctant readers and word lovers alike] My Weird School; My Weirder School; My Weirder-est School; My Weirdest School; My Weird School Daze; My Weird School Fast Facts **Available on WV Deli and Hoopla**
- Wings of Fire (Graphic Novels) by Tiu Sutherland [Graphic novel adaptation of the popular fantasy series] **Available on WV Deli**
No comments on this post.
Add a Comment