Back to News
2022 Voting Information - Dates, Deadlines, and More
Libraries are nonpartisan. As institutions that provide access to information, resources, programs, and public spaces for all members of a community, libraries are a cornerstone for civic engagement. We encourage you to review important dates and information regarding the upcoming election.
“an election in which candidates are elected to offices. This is in contrast to a primary election, which is used either to narrow the field of candidates for a given elective office or to determine the nominees for political parties in advance of a general election.” Ballotpedia
Upcoming Dates and Deadlines
- August 1, 2022 - Deadline for No Party Organization/Unaffiliated Candidates to File Nominating Petitions, Certificate of Announcements and Pay Filing Fee
- August 16 – November 2, 2022 – Absentee Application Period - Eligible Absentee Voters can send an absentee ballot application to their County Clerk in person, by mail, or electronically. Military or Overseas Voters who applied absentee in the Primary Election will automatically receive a ballot for the General Election.
- September 23, 2022 – County Clerks begin mailing absentee ballots to voters from whom they received applications
- October 18, 2022 – Voter Registration Deadline
- October 26 – November 5, 2022 – Early Voting in Person - Voter may vote an early ballot at the county courthouse, an annex or a designated community voting location during normal business hours. Early voting must be conducted between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on the last 2 Saturdays before the Primary Election.
- November 1 – Noon, November 8, 2022 - Receive Requests for Emergency Absentee Ballot - This falls under the below circumstances:
- Voter in the hospital on Election Day
- Replacement poll worker appointed after the period for Early Voting
- Voter in licensed health care facilities within an adjacent county or within 35 miles of the county seat (county policy required)
- Voter in nursing home within the county if he or she has resided there for a period of less than 30 days (county policy required)
- Voter becomes confined, on or after the seventh day
- November 2, 2022 – Deadline for Absentee Ballot Applications
- November 5, 2022 – Deadline for Early Voting in Person
- November 7, 2022 – Deadline for Hand-Deliver Absentee Ballot to the Clerk’s Office
- November 8, 2022 – ELECTION DAY
- November 8, 2022 – Absentee Ballots Received Electronically From Eligible Voters Accepted - Absentee ballots submitted electronically by eligible military and overseas voters and eligible voters with physical disabilities are accepted by close of polls.
- November 9, 2022– Absentee Ballots without Postmark Accepted
- November 14 – Absentee Ballots Postmarked by Election Day Accepted
*Information provided from Secretary of State Website
Questions? Contact the Secretary of State's Office
Ballot Ready - A one stop shop where you can check your registration, make a plan to vote, and research every name and measure on the ballot.
Ballotpedia - “The Encyclopedia of American Politics” including sample ballots and candidate profiles.
GoVoteWV.com - West Virginia Voter Sample Ballot Lookup Tool
Local News and Election Coverage -
The Intelligencer-Wheeling News-Register - Available at the Ohio County Public Library Daily
Office of Ohio County Clerk
Secretary of State Mac Warner - GoVoteWV.com
USA.gov - An interagency portal of the United States government including information on voting and the election process.