The "Blue Church" in Wheeling
Commonly known as the "Blue Church" today, this structure is one of the best examples of pre-Civil War Greek Revival architecture in Wheeling and remains one of the oldest church buildings in our community. Built by the congregation by St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, it became the home of the First Baptist Church in 1866 when the St. Matthew's congregation moved into their current location on Chapline Street. The House of Prayer occupied the building for nearly 30 years following the move of First Baptist Church in 1958 to their current location on National Rd. In recent years, Wheeling Heritage has led efforts to preserve this piece of Wheeling's architectural history.
▶ St. Matthew's Episcopal Church: consecrated on Oct. 27, 1837, sold to First Baptist Church in 1866
▶ First Baptist Church: May 1866 - 1958
▶ House of Prayer: 1958 - 1987
▶ Jubilee Christian Fellowship: 1988 - 1993
▶ Faith Reformed Presbyterian Church: 1994 - 1997
▶ Church of God and Saints of Christ Tabernacle: 2002-2014
▶ Purchased by Wheeling National Heritage Area Corporation (now Wheeling Heritage): 2014
▶ 1206 Byron Street (SE Corner of 12th & Byron)
▶ No notes at this time.
Materials in the Library's Archives: (non-circulating, view by appointment only*)
*Call 304-232-0244 or send an email to make an appointment to view archival materials.