Paintings of Old Wheeling: Top Mill
-- From the Ohio County Public Library's Special Collection, Paintings of Old Wheeling by John Joseph Owens
Wheeling Steel and Iron Company, 1834. Wheeling's first iron mill was built on the site of the "Top Mill," owned the the Wheeling Steel Corporation and located on the River Road. It was formerly know as the Missouri Iron Works and was burned September 3, 1871, rebuilt in 1872 and in 1879 the blast furnace was built.
About the Paintings of Old Wheeling Collection
Twelve paintings of Old Wheeling by John Joseph Owens (1887-1931) are on exhibit in the Wheeling Room at the Ohio County Public Library, Wheeling, WV. The paintings were commissioned by George A. Laughlin to show scene characteristic of Old Wheeling were presented to the library and are now a part of the Library's permanent art collection.