Kruger Street School History
In the spring of 1906, work was begun in the new public school building in Elm Grove, and on February 1, 1907, the pupils and teachers moved into the Kruger Street School. The school building was designed by Wheeling architect, C. D. McCarty. The contractors were Elliot & Winchell of Clarksburg, West Virginia. The cornerstone was laid on June 30, 1906, by the Knights of the Pythias, Mystic Lodge No. 24.
- From "A Collection About Ohio County Public Schools," Bonar, Levering C., 1978, pg. 84.
This site occupies about one-half block, 1.2 acres . . .The red brick building is trimmed with cut stone and has a sandstone foundation. Built in 1906 it has spacious corridors 30 feet wide. Lacking an auditorium or gymnasium, the hallway downstairs is used for community meetings and assemblies. . . . In this place is where the first Triadelphia District High School was started by Principal Allan W. Curtis and Vincent Giffin, then County Superintendent.
The school contained twelve recitation rooms, a room for the Board of Education, a principal’s office and library, and two manual training rooms.
The last classes were held at Kruger Street School in 1991. The building was then used by West Liberty State College for the 1994-95 school year, before being closed permanently. The former school building was sold at auction to the Eibel Corporation on March 18, 1997, and reopened as the Kruger Street Toy and Train Museum on September 1, 1998.
▶ Read a 1908 history of the Elm Grove Public School (from "History of Education in West Virginia," 1908)
▶ 144 Kruger Street (now the Kruger Street Toy and Train Museum)
▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Schools A-Z, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
▶ Vertical File:Kruger Street Primary School, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
▶ A Collection About Ohio County Schools, Bonar, Levering. Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk. CALL #: Wheeling 379.75414 B64c
▶ "History of Education in West Virginia," prepared under the direction of the State Superintendent of Free Schools, 1907. Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk. CALL #: Wheeling 370.9754 H629 1907