▼ B & O Freight Depot Quick Links
▼ History | ▼ Locations | ▼ Images | ▼ Additional Resources
B & O Freight Depot
Built in 1852, the Wheeling Freight Depot, and the passenger depot which once stood adjacent to it, formed the first terminus of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad on the Ohio River. Until the new B&O Terminus Building (now West Virginia Northern Community College) on 16th was built in 1907, the tower above the freight shed was where the B&O passenger station was located in Wheeling and the passenger platform shed extended 300 feet across the Wheeling Creek Bridge.
The composite timber, wrought- and cast-iron trusses of the shed roof of the B&O Freight Depot spanned a distance of 90 feet with amazing lightness and were one of the best remaining examples of the early use of structural iron in American architecture until it's demolition in the mid-1970s.
See: Transportation > Railroads > Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in Wheeling
▶ SW corner of Water and 14th Street (Demolished in the mid-1970s. Now the site of WesBanco Arena)
Materials in the Library:
▶ Vertical File: B & O Railroad, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
▶ The story of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, 1827-1927, Hungerford, Edward, 1928. Circulating copies.
Call #: 385.0975 H895s v.1, 385.0975 H895s v.2
Resources from the Library of Congress:
▶ Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Wheeling Freight Station, Fourteenth & South Streets, Wheeling, Ohio County, WV