Beverly L. Griffith Wheeling Downs China
About this collection:
Wheeling Downs was opened in 1937 and was a thriving horse racetrack operation until a fire ravaged its building in 1962. Because of a decline in business and a series of changes at the legislative level, the Downs transitioned from horse racing to greyhound racing in 1976. In 2002, the Wheeling Downs name was changed to Wheeling Island Racetrack and Casino.
Beverly Griffith’s father and uncle, John and Vincent Griffith, operated the Griffith Brothers Company. They were often called in to help cleanout buildings after disasters. It is assumed that Griffith Brothers was called in to work on Wheeling Downs after the 1962 fire and acquired the china while working there.
➤ Interested in this material? Please use our "Ask an Archivist Form" or call 304-232-0244.
▶ Click here to view pdf in full window