NOTICE: We are currently in the process of restructuring the “Wheeling History” section of our website. Much of the information previously available can still be accessed by using the search function at the top of the page. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience. Please check back regularly for updates.
The indexes of the Brown Photographs are organized by the dates on each picture. The dates may not reflect the actual date the photograph was taken, but it is relative to the subject. In many cases, they are are simply the date a building was constructed. ▶ Read more about the Brown Collection
Download the Brown Finding Aid (pdf)
Brown Photograph Index: 1800-1842
This house was built by Ebenezer Zane about 1800. It was located at 11th and Main Streets. The Zane family setteled here in 1769 and founded Wheeling. Ebenezer Zane laid the first lot in 1793.
The Old Stone Church.
Stone Bridge at Elm Grove. It was remodeled several years ago and the fine lines were destroyed. It is still in use.
The old bridge at the foot of the St. Clairsville Hill.
This old tavern was built by Samuel Carter and later sold to G.W. Stamm, grandfather of Mrs. O.W. Burdats. It stood opposite Wheeling Park on National Road. Many famous people stopped at this tavern, including Martin Van Buren in 1848.
Stone and brick toll houses stood every 15 miles on the old National Road, with milestones in between. This one still stands about 5 miles beyond West Alexander.
The Market House and Town Hall cost $690. The Town Hall rooms were located on the second floor and slaves were bought and sold at this end.
This building erected about 1829, was originally known as French's Tavern. It stood on the Southwest corner of Chapline and 14th Street.
The First Presbyterian Church located between 12th and 14th on Chapline Street. It was built in 1825 and still stands although the steeple has been removed.
Interior of the Fourth Street Church. Jenny Lind sang from this rostrum.
The Old Fourth Street Church. Three churches were built on this site. This is the second, seating 2000. In the early days Chapline Street was known as Fourth Street.
The Exchange Bank was located on the corner of 12th and Main Streets.
Old Chambers House, Elm Grove.
The Covered Bridge across the back river from the Island to Bridgeport was completed in 1837 by the Zane family.
Double house supposed to have been built by the Zane brothers in 1837, for the toll keepers of the wooden bridge that spanned the back river. It stood on Zane Street.
The Bridgeport entrance to the covered bridge over the back river. Notice the raised railroad crossing gate in the center.
The old wooden covered bridge that crossed the back river was started by Noah Zane in 1833 but he did live to see it completed four years later.
The Old County Jail, built in 1839, stood near 12th and Eoff Streets.
The Old Court House. The cornerstone was laid April 10, 1839 by Ohio Lodge No. 1. This building was razed in 1900 and the Court Theatre structure erected at a cost of more than $170,000.
The photos in this collection have been scanned to preserve as much of the artistic quality and style of the original. Content within these pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Ohio County Public Library. To obtain permission to publish these images or obtain a high resolution, unwatermarked copy of a photo from this collection, please make a request through the OCPL contact form.
OCPL appreciates the generosity of patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials. Due to the number of items donated, limited staff, and limited space to house materials, the OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations and encourage reading our Donation Policies before donating: