The McLure House Hotel in Wheeling
The McLure Hotel opened its doors for the first time on the corner of Market and Monroe (now 12th) streets in downtown Wheeling on March 4, 1852. Known as the "McLure House," the grand hotel went on to host Generals Frémont, Rosecrans, Sherman, and Grant during the Civil War and at least 11 presidents, including Teddy Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Nixon.
Extensive renovations were done to the building between 1982 and 1984. The renovation project called for the demolition of the Market Street side of the old hotel and the rebuilding of it to fold 135 additional rooms and a supper club on the top floor.
➤ Read the amazing story of Ellsworth Milton Statler, who got his start at the McLure.
➤ 1200 Market Street (The southeast corner of Market of 12th Streets)
➤ No notes at this time
Materials in the Wheeling Room: (non-circulating - ask for access at reference desk)
➤ Vertical File: McLure House: Wheeling Room, compiled by OCPL staff
Materials in the Library Archives & Special Collections: (non-circulating - access by appointment only, call 304-232-0244.)