Elks Wheeling Lodge No. 28 History
The Wheeling Elks Lodge No. 28 was organized June 22, 1884, and incorporated October 13, 1900.
The formal opening of the Elks Club building in the old Wm. B. Simpson property at 32 15th Street was held September 21, 1904. The plans for the remodel of the Simpson residence were designed by the Wheeling architecture firm Geisey & Faris. The old residence had been completely remodeled, a third story added, and the exterior "handsomely adorned." An auditorium with a seating capacity of 800 occupied the first floor, with gallery seating extending to the second floor. A dining hall and billiard rooms were also located on the second story. On the third floor, several workrooms lined a large and lavishly decorated lodge room with a hand-painted ceiling mural of allegorical and mythological creatures, several stuffed elks heads (one studded with incandescent lamps), mahogany furniture upholstered in sterling leather, green plush curtains, and a "handsome" gong, "a gift of the ladies, used for the eleven o'clock tribute to departed members."
The modern addition to the Elks Club that extended to Eoff street was added in 1931.
The property was sold by the Elks Club in 2005. It now houses the Harris Law Offices.
▶ 32 15th Street (now Harris Law Offices)
▶ Magnificent New Elks's Club Formally Opened Last Night: Wheeling Daily Register, Thursday, September 22nd, 1904
▶ New Home Planned: Wheeling News-Register, July 12, 1931
Wheeling Room: non-circulating, ask for access at the Reference Desk
▶ Wheeling 28 B.P.O.E., 100th anniversary, 1884-1984 / [compiled by Ted Hess]