Sign Up For News And Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:







Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Mobile Phone:
Notice​LIBRARY CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO CONCERNS OVER THE POTENTIAL SPREAD OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Wheeling Business and Professional Women's Club Records, 1917-1960


OCPL Archives and Special Collections Icon ➤  ARCHIVES  ➤  FINDING AIDS   


OCPL Archives and Special Collections


Wheeling Business and Professional Women's Club Records


About this collection:

➤ In 1916, a group of business women met at the YWCA, with a goal to create an organization that would promote the interests of working women in Wheeling. The Wheeling Business and Professional Women’s Club was officially formed in 1918; among its 28 founding members were nurses, teachers, principals, telephone operators, pastors and librarians. The Wheeling organization joined the National Federation in 1919. In addition to providing a space for Wheeling’s professionals to advance the role of women in the workplace, the organization was also involved in many philanthropic endeavors. The Wheeling BPWC organized an Easter egg hunt at Wheeling Park, raised funds for a Mobile Feeding Unit for British Relief, collected books for army camps, helped to register men for the WWII draft, purchased a Hot-Pack for the Ohio Valley General Hospital for treatment of the Polio vaccine, set up a fund for the YWCA to take care of the homeless, furnished cottages at Oglebay Park, and encouraged new voters to get to the polls among countless other projects.The Wheeling Business and Professional Women’s Club collection includes scrapbooks, photographs, member lists and histories.

➤ Interested in this material? Please use our "Ask an Archivist Form" or call 304-232-0244.


 


▶ Click here to view pdf in full window 

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

Services and Locations