Wheeling Centennial Celebration, 1936
1769 — Founded by the Zane brothers
1795 — Established as the Town of “Wheeling”
1806 — Incorporated as a Town
1836 — Incorporated as a City
Highlights of the 1936 Centennial Celebration
- Historical and Industrial Exhibits at the Market Auditorium and displays in every store window downtown
- Golf and Tennis Tournament and River Regatta
- Dodson World’s Fair Carnival at the Fairgrounds
- Coronation of the “Queen of the Centennial”
- “Nationality Night” featuring Polish, Italian, and Ukrainian music and dancing in costume
- “On Wings of Time” Pageant — a “Mammoth Spectacle” at Wheeling Island Stadium featuring a cast of more than 1000 portraying Wheeling’s History “from the beginning of time,” with a 150 piece band, “dazzling costumes,” dozens of horsemen, oxen, covered wagons, and trains of 1848
Wheeling 180 Birthday Bash
On March 8, 2016, a celebration of the 180th birthday of Wheeling as a city, hosted by Wheeling's historian, Margaret Brennan, was held at Lunch With Books at the Ohio County Public Library. "Pa Wheeling" made a rare appearance, Stuart Bloch, son of the 1936 Chairman Thomas Bloch, offered remarks, current Wheeling Mayor Any McKenzie read a proclamation, and local music legend Yodeling Dick Brooks led a sing-along. 105 people attended, all enjoyed the show and most enjoyed some birthday cake.
The materials on this website may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as credit is given to the Ohio County Public Library, Wheeling WV. Content within these pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Ohio County Public Library. To obtain permission to publish images or other material available on this website, contact us through our Ask a Librarian form.