Nassif and Elias Family Photographs, 1910-1958
Nassif and Elias Family Photographs
About this collection:
➤ The collection consists material relating to the Nassif, Elias, George and Wakim families including a ledger book, advertising material and photographs. The ledger book was used by Joseph Nassif for accounting and also as a record of correspondence for the years 1916-1932. In the 1910s, Joseph Nassif was proprietor, with James M. Saba, of Joseph Nassif & Co., dry goods, located at 2141 Market Street. Some of the material is in Arabic. Louis Nassif was proprietor of Nassif Candy Company, also located at 2141 Market Street. Nassif Candy later operated at 2006 Main Street. The collection also consists of photographs depicting several Lebanese American families in Center Wheeling including the Nassif, Elias, George and Wakim families. Many photographs depict local businesses such as The Waiting Room and Center Wheeling street scenes. Of note are photographs of the wedding of Sam and Bernadine George Elias at the Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Catholic Church, as well as a photograph of Father Abraham presiding at the Mahrajan Festival, held at Oglebay Park, circa 1940s. Also of note is a photograph of Sam Elias wearing a Wheeling Merchants baseball uniform. The collection also includes photographs of Wheeling Spring Service Company and Zarnits Bros. Grocery warehouses.
➤ Interested in this material? Please use our "Ask an Archivist Form" or call 304-232-0244.
▶ Click here to view pdf in full window