Wheeling Steel Corporation Collection
WHEELING STEEL CORPORATION COLLECTION
About this collection:
➤ In 1920, the Wheeling Steel Corporation was formed from the merger of La Belle Iron Works, the Wheeling Steel and Iron Company and the Whitaker-Glessner Company. In 1967, the company merged with the Pittsburgh Steel Corporation to form Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Corporation. Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel suffered during the decline of the American steel industry in the last decades of the twentieth century. The company filed for bankruptcy several times over the years but emerged from its protection in 2003. In 2007, the company was acquired by Esmark. In 2008, Esmark’s holdings in Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel were acquired by Severstal. Severstal sold the former Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel operations to RG Steel in 2011. In 2012 RG Steel filed for bankruptcy and the Yorkville, Steubenville, Mingo Junction and Martins Ferry plants were all sold.
This collection consists of documents and memorabilia related to the Wheeling Steel Corporation collected by the Ohio County Public Library Archives and Special Collections over the years.
➤ Interested in this material? Please use our "Ask an Archivist Form" or call 304-232-0244.
▶ Click here to view pdf in full window