The Owl Print Shop Collection, 1928-1948
The Owl Print Shop Collection
About this collection:
➤ Established in November 1913 on Wheeling Island at 133 Zane Street by Glenn D. Simeral, the Owl Print Shop was one of the largest print shops in Wheeling that printed paper materials and sold office furniture and supplies. During the majority of its existence, the Owl Print Shop was located at 917 Market Street, where it published Owlprint. In the year 1919, the shop employed 14 people. Noted typographer and publisher Jean Carl Hertzog worked for the shop from May 1922 to June 1923. The business reorganized under Owl Office Outfitters, Inc. in 1956. The business was voluntarily terminated in May of 1963.
The collection consists of copies of Owlprint magazine and other material relating to or published by the Owl Print Shop from 1928-1942. Owlprint, a small magazine-style publication, featured articles and advertisements that catered to the local business community as well as general interest articles that featured current events and topics related to Wheeling. The collection also includes catalogs and advertisements for the Owl Print Shop and printed materials created for the Wheeling Rotary, including a Christmas publication featuring notable Wheeling individuals.
➤ Interested in this material? Please use our "Ask an Archivist Form" or call 304-232-0244.
▶ Click here to view pdf in full window