Ancestry Library Edition — NOTE: in-library access only
Discover your ancestors with the world's largest family history website. Start a family tree, browse census records and more online at Ancestry.
HeritageQuest — NOTE: in-library access only
HeritageQuest® Online is a comprehensive treasury of American genealogical sources—rich in unique primary sources, local and family histories, convenient research guides, interactive census maps, and more.
WVInfoDepot.org, the West Virginia eLibrary, is an anywhere, anytime library that you can access from your home pc, school library, or mobile device. WVInfoDepot.org provides access to millions of magazine and newspaper articles, ebooks, digital images, test preparation, primary source materials and more.
WVInfoDepot.org is funded by the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) via the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the West Virginia Library Commission. Additional resource funding is provided by the State of West Virginia.
West Virginians can explore online articles and images from popular magazines, scholarly journals, current newspapers, and other reference works through WVInfoDeport.org or through their public library website. Some resources listed below may ask you to enter a username and password to continue. You may obtain a username and password by calling the Library at 304-232-0244 (please ask to be connected to the Reference Desk).
Databases available through WVInfoDepot:
- Alt HealthWatch: Online alternative consumer health information.
- Business Source Elite: Online business-focused magazines and company profiles.
➤ View online tutorial for Business Source Elite.
- Consumer Health Complete: Online health-focused fact sheets and diagrams, drug information, procedure explanation.
➤ View online tutorial for Consumer Health Complete.
- Explora Primary: For pre-kindergarten to 5th-grade students. Online articles from magazines and newspapers.
- Explora Middle and High School: For 5th-12th grade students. Articles from magazines, books, primary source documents, images, videos, and newspapers.
- Explora Magazines and Newspapers: For all-ages. General interest magazines, books, primary source documents, images, videos, and newspapers.
➤ View online tutorial for Explora Magazines and Newspapers.
- GreenFILE: Online government and general-interest titles. Contains articles on green building, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, and more.
- Health Source — Consumer Edition: Online general consumer health information.
- Health Source — Nursing/Academic Edition: Academic focused health information. Also, contains the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide.
- Job & Career Accelerator: Online up-to-date employment directory, resume and cover letter creator, and computer skill tutorials.
- LearningExpress Library: Online academic and career practice tests. Areas covered include SAT preparation courses, SAT practice exams, civil service, cosmetology, EMS, firefighter, GED, law enforcement, military, postal services, real estate, U.S. citizenship, and more.
- Legal Information Reference Center: Provides access to legal publications and forms for citizens and small businesses.
- Library, Information Science, & Technology Abstracts: An index to journals, books, research reports, and proceedings. Subject coverage includes librarianship, classification, cataloging, bibliometrics, online information retrieval, information management and more.
- Niche Academy: Online tutorials for databases and web applications, like Gmail, Pinterest, and more.
- NoveList Plus: Online tool to help readers of all ages find new books to read based on books they’ve already read or topics in which they are interested.
- NoveList Plus K-8 Plus: Find just the right book by subject, age, awards won, Lexile Reading levels, State standards; even books made into movies, and much more. Read reviews and learn about the author.
- Points of View Reference Center: Middle school through college undergraduate and General user. Features information and opinions on hundreds of today’s hottest social issues. Continuously updated pro/con viewpoint essays, topic overviews, primary source documents, biographies, court-case overviews, periodical articles, tables/charts/graphs, and more.
➤ View online tutorial for Points of View Reference Center.
- Regional Business News: Incorporates regional business magazines covering all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
- TOPICsearch: Explores social, political & economic issues, scientific discoveries, and other popular topics; includes controversial opinions and viewpoints.
- World Book Online: Reliable information for homework, reports, or general questions from World Book Encyclopedia. Includes:
- World Book Kids – For elementary users. Includes lesson plans, science activities, comparable animal and geography features, interactive maps, challenging games, and biographies.
- World Book Student – Content for upper-elementary and middle-grade users. Includes resources where users can save, notate, and organize articles, biographies, and other content.
- World Book Advanced – Specifically organized for high school and pre-college users. Contains all of the resources of World Book Student plus primary source materials.
- World Book Discover
- Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos
- Early World Of Learning, World Book eBooks, and World Book Timelines.