The mission of the Ohio County Public Library is to provide free and equal access to resources that assist our community in the pursuit of knowledge, information, education, research, and recreation which promotes an enlightened citizenry, encourages lifelong learning, and enriches the quality of life.
In a community that values reading and learning, the library fulfills this mission by:
- Maintaining a well-balanced collection of authoritative, accurate, historical and current materials.
- Establishing and maintaining the library as an information center for the community by providing access to optimum information systems and services on a local, national, and global level.
- Presenting educational, recreational, and cultural programs on a variety of subjects in appropriate formats for all ages.
- Providing prompt, friendly, and courteous service.
- Providing a safe and pleasant environment in which to utilize the resources, services, programs, and facilities of the library.
- Serving as a community center where local groups and businesses may meet for nonprofit purposes, free of charge.
- Seeking to identify the needs of all groups in the community and meeting those needs within the scope of library resources.
- Working in cooperation with other local and regional libraries to provide library and information services with minimum duplication and maximum efficiency.
- Serving as a repository of local history and genealogy information by collecting, preserving, and providing access to resources that document the rich history of Wheeling and the greater Ohio Valley region.
- Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Ohio County Public Library: March 11, 1997;
REVISED AND ADOPTED: April 10, 2018