General manager of Wheeling Telegraph
-- from History of West Virginia. Chicago: American Historical Society, 1923. (v.2, p.49)
CAMPBELL H. HENDERSON. Soon after completing his education Campbell H. Henderson was diverted into the newspaper business, beginning as a circulation manager, and has been actively identified with the fortunes of the Wheeling Telegraph almost throughout its existence, covering nearly twenty years. He is general manager of this, one of the strongest and most influential newspapers in Upper West Virginia.
Mr. Henderson was born at Wheeling, January 2, 1881. This branch of the Henderson family has been in West Virginia for a number of generations. His grandfather, Thomas Henderson, was born in the state, and spent practically all his life at Triadelphia in Ohio County. For a number of years he was captain on Ohio and Mississippi River steamboats, making frequent voyages between Pittsburgh and New Orleans. In later years he devoted his time and energies to the operation of his farm at Triadelphia, where he died about 1877.
David H. Henderson, father of the Wheeling newspaper man, was born at Triadelphia in 1850, lived in that vicinity for a number of years and operated a large farm, and in 1880 moved to Wheeling, but continued the operation and ownership of a dairy farm near the city. This farm was noted for its blooded stock. David Henderson died at Wheeling in 1917. He was a republican, and one of the very active members of the First Presbyterian Church. He married Margaret Garrison, who was born at Wheeling in 1852, and is still living in that city. Campbell H. is the oldest of their children. Thomas is a civil engineer in Orange, New Jersey. Charles is chief clerk for the American Sheet & Tin Plate Company at Wheeling. Margaret is the wife of Charles Leiphart, a postal employee at Wheeling. William is an accountant for the Federal Ship Building Company at Newark, New Jersey.
Campbell H. Henderson attended public school, graduated from Wheeling Business College in 1898, and soon afterward became circulation manager for the News Publishing Company. He was with the News Company four years, and then joined the recently established Wheeling Telegraph as circulation manager. During the next four years he gave the Telegraph its secure position in circulation, and since then has been general manager of the company and business. The Telegraph is an independent republican paper, published at 68 Sixteenth Street, and has a large circulation throughout the city and surrounding district.
The only important interruption to his newspaper work came in 1917, when Mr. Henderson was appointed chief of police of Wheeling, an office he filled two years. He is a republican, secretary of the First Presbyterian Church, and is a past grand of Wheeling Lodge No. 9, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His home is at 121 Nineteenth Street at Warwood, Wheeling. In 1908 he married Miss Mary L. Kindelberger, a native of Wheeling, and a graduate of the Wheeling High School and the Wheeling Business College. Before her marriage she taught in the public schools for three years and for one year was a teacher in the Linsly Institute at Wheeling. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson have two children, David, born July 27, 1910, and Louise, born December 15, 1913.