"In the earliest history of the town of Wheeling," write the Hon. Gibson Lamb Cramner in History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Viriginia and Representative Citizens (1902), " we find that there was a small city cemetery, situated in North Wheeling..." Located on the west side of Main Street between 9th and 10th streets, this graveyard served the Wheeling until around 1820 at which point the community outgrew the small plot.
Steady growth and prosperity have seen many cemeteries come and more than a few removed as the burgeoning city expanded. Today, five cemeteries in Wheeling are still open for burials.
OCPL appreciates the generosity and thoughtfulness of its many patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials to the Library. Because of the overwhelming number of items donated, the limited amount of staff time to handle these donations, and limited space to house the donated materials, OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations of books, historical materials, and other materials of value. Please read more about our Donation Policies: