Sign Up For News And Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:






Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Mobile Phone:

Wheeling Civic Center Murals


Places of Wheeling Icon
 ▶  WHEELING HISTORY  ▶  PLACES  ▶  PARKS & RECREATION  ▶  CIVIC CENTER

▶ Wheeling Civic Center Murals

    ▼ History  |   ▼ Location   |   ▼ Images   |   ▼ Notes   |   ▼ Additional Resources    


Wheeling Civic Center Murals

-From the June 22, 1981 dedication program (view below):

In 1979, the Wheeling Municipal Auditorium Board embarked on a project to recognize historical events which occurred in the immediate vicinity of the civic center depicting such events in a colorful and dramatic fashion upon large murals to be painted on interior walls at the four corners of the building. To manage and direct the historical mural project, the Municipal Auditorium Board appointed a special committee of dedicated local persons qualified in art and local history.

The committee determined the subject matter of the murals and selected the artists on the basis of personal interviews and preliminary sketches submitted after its review of the initial applications submitted by almost 30 artists. Funding for the payments to the artists was obtained by matching grants from the Council of the City of Wheeling and the West Virginia Department of Culture and History acting by and through its Arts and Humanities Commission. Additional costs of wall preparation, materials, equipment rental and other incidental expenses were paid from additional funds provided by the City Council and the Municipal Auditorium Board. These city and state agencies cooperated and enthusiastically supported the effort to promote public awareness of the significant historical events depicted upon the murals and to advance the program of displaying art in public places.

The special committee tasked with managing and directing the mural project consisted of Margaret Brennan, Beverly Fluty, Dr. Bruno Hartung, John A. Hazlett, Steve Vasiliou, Wes Wagner, Clark Morton. West Virginia Governor John D. Rockfeller was present at the June 22, 1981 ceremony to formally dedicate the murals. 

The first mural, "French Exploration Of The Ohio Valley," painted by artist Mark Missman depicts French explorer Céloron de Blainville planting a leaden plate at the mouth of Wheeling Creek in 1749, reassert the ownership of the French over the Ohio Valley. 

The second mural, "The Battle Of Fort Henry," was painted by artist Walt Courtney depicts the second siege of Fort Henry, September 11, 1782

The third mural, "Wheeling, Birthplace of West Virginia," was also painted by Mark Missman and depicts the Second Wheeling Convention in which Francis H. Pierpont was elected the Governor of the Reorganized Government of Virginia

The fourth mural, "Collage of Transportation," was painted by artist Ellen Elmes and depicts historic sites, roads, railroads, bridges, the Ohio River, and industries in Wheeling.

View murals below

Location

▶ Inside WesBanco Arena: 2 14th Street (corner of 14th and Water Street)


Images

Wheeling Civic Center Mural


Articles

 ▶ Historical Murals Dedication Program, Wheeling Civic Center, June 22, 1981 (Beverly Fluty Papers

This browser does not support inline PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF


Additional Resources

Materials in the Library's Archives: (non-circulating, view by appointment only*)
*Call 304-232-0244 or send an email to make an appointment to view archival materials.
Postcard Collection of The Ohio County Public Library, view related postcards above.
Beverly Fluty papers, Box 2, folder 4, "Civic Center Mural Dedication" (view dedication program above)


Civic Center  |  Parks & Recreation  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

-Information on this page compiled by erothenbuehler
Services and Locations