Wheeling Island Exposition Hall
Designed by Wheeling architect Frederick F. Faris, the Exposition Hall was constructed in 1924 by the West Virginia Exposition and State Fair Association to be part of the State Fairgrounds on Wheeling Island. Ground was broken on the project in January of 1924. R. R. Kitchen Company was the contractor for the 260 ft. long, 80 ft. wide, two-story hall. An article in the Wheeling Intelligencer, January 25, 1924, stated: "...the new building, which will be erected of structural steel, concrete and brick and will be strictly fireproof and modern in every respect."
The Expo Hall housed a roller skating rink from the time it opened until 1988. In 1944, the Hall was leased by the Hoover Company of Canton, Ohio, for the manufacture of war materials under the agreement that the Wheeling Roller Rink would continue to operate until the weekend after possession was taken. The Wheeling Roller Rink was at this time moved to the second floor of the Market Auditorium. The "Wheeling Downs Roller Rink" moved back into the Exposition Hall in 1946. In 1980, $50,000 was invested in the rink which was reopened under the name of "Wheelin' Around."
In recent years, it was used as a storage facility for Wheeling Island Casino. It was destroyed in a fire on December 31, 2019.
▶ End of S. Front Street, at the intersection of S. Stone Street.
▶ The W. Va. State Fair, Forward Wheeling, July 1931
Materials in the Wheeling Room: (non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk)
▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Fairs, compiled by OCPL staff