Oglebay Park in Wheeling
Upon the death Earl William Oglebay, June 22, 1926, it was found that he had willed his magnificent country estate—Waddington Farm—to the people of the city of Wheeling "for so long as they should open it for purposes of public recreation and education." His nephew, Crispin Oglebay, founded Oglebay Institute to assure that the city would accept the farm and in 1928 the city of Wheeling, through the city council, formally accepted responsibility for the park and placed it under the jurisdiction of the Wheeling Park Commission.
▶ More history coming soon.
▶ 1330 Oglebay Drive — on Route 88/Bethany Pike
▶ Potpourri article about Oglebay Park by Blanche Steenrod, Wheeling News Register, 1938.
▶ CCC Camp at Oglebay (Camp Waddington), The Wheeling News Register, April 4, 1937
▶ Vertical File: Oglebay Park, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at Reference Desk.
▶ Archives Vertical File: Oglebay Park (Brochures & Pamphlets), OCPL Archives, non-circulating, view by appointment only.
▶ Archives Vertical File: Oglebay Park (Photographs), OCPL Archives, non-circulating, view by appointment only.
▶ Oglebay Park: Owners of lands of Oglebay Park from Silas Zane to Earl Oglebay, 1780-1900 / by Audra Rickey Wayne, Wheeling, West Virginia, 1988. Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at Reference Desk. Call#: Wheeling 975.415 W367o
▶ The story of Oglebay Park, Wheeling, West Virginia and the history of Oglebay Institute and the Oglebay family / by Ralph H. Weir, 1963. Regular Stacks, circulating copy. Call#: 975.415 W433s
▶ Oglebay Park / Brent Carney, 2005. Regular Stacks, circulating copy. Call#: 975.415 W367o