Madonna of the Trail Monument in Wheeling
The Wheeling Madonna of the Trail is one of a series of 12 monuments dedicated to the spirit of pioneer women in the United States. Created by sculptor August Leimbach and funded by contributions, the monuments were commissioned by the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) and installed in each of the 12 states along the National Old Trails Road, which extended from Cumberland, Maryland, to Upland, California.
Said Mrs. John Trigg Moss of St. Louis, Mo., chairman of the National Old Trails Road committee, at the July 7, 1928 dedication ceremony at Wheeling Park, "The D. A. R. in deciding to erect 12 monuments as memorials to pioneer women urged that the statues be erected on sites that will commemorate some historical event or to commemorate some historical happening in that community. The statue is a fitting tribute to the brave pioneer mothers who aided so much in the progress of this country. These brave women backed their men folks through hardships, privations and during hard Indian battles. Without the pioneer women, there would have been no progress in this country." 
An estimated 5,000 people attended the dedication, with Otto Schenk, president of the Wheeling Park Commission, accepted the memorial in behalf of the city.
▶ National Road/Route 40
▶  Dedication of the Madonna of the Trail Monument, Wheeling Daily News, July 7, 1928
Materials in the Library's Wheeling Room: (non-circulating - ask for access at reference desk)
Materials in the Library's Archives: (non-circulating, view by appointment only*)
*Call 304-232-0244 or send an email to make an appointment to view archival materials.