Wheeling Island Stadium
Designed by Wheeling architect Charles W. Bates for the Wheeling Board of Education, Wheeling High School's new stadium on Wheeling Island was formally dedicated June 10, 1927.
Wheeling's professional football team of the 1960s (1962-1969), The Wheeling Ironmen played their home games at Wheeling Island Stadium.
The stadium is now owned and operated by Wheeling Park High School.
More history coming soon.
▶ View articles about the stadium's dedication, June 10, 1927, Wheeling Intelligencer
▶ Between S. Penn Street and S. Front Street bordered by Caroline Street on the north end and S. Stone Street on the south end.
▶ No notes at this time
▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Island Stadium, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at Reference Desk.
▶ Archives Vertical File: Wheeling Island Stadium (Dedication ribbon, June 1, 1927 , please call 304-232-0244 to make an appointment or ask at reference desk.
▶ Archives Vertical File: May Day at Wheeling Island Stadium, OCPL Archives, non-circulating.
Digital copy of photograph available to view on Flickr. Must make appointment to view physical archival materials. Call 304-232-0244 or contact us through our Ask a Librarian form.