Sign Up For News And Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:







Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Mobile Phone:
Notice​MASKS REQUIRED INSIDE LIBRARY

The Old County Jail

Places of Wheeling Icon
 ▶  WHEELING HISTORY  ▶  PLACES  ▶  GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC SERVICE

▼ The Old County Jail Quick Links

 ▼ History  |  ▼ Locations   |   ▼ Images   |   ▼ Additional Resources 


The Old County Jail in Wheeling

To the displease of Wheeling brewer and prominent businessman, Anton Reymann, the site at the southwest corner of 15th and Eoff Streets — catty-corner from the Reymann residence — was secured by the Board of Ohio County Commissioners May 3, 1890.

Designed by Wheeling architect Millard Giesey, general contractors on the construction of the building were the Murray Brothers. Prisoners were transferred ot the new jail building on Halloween, Monday, October 31, 1892.

The old county jail was razed in 1975 to make way for the new Ohio County Correction Facility and additional parking. General Contracting Co. of Steubenville was the demolition contractor. 


 Location

▶ SW Corner of 15th and Eoff Street (where current Ohio County Correction Complex building is located)


Images

Old County Jail


Additional Resources

Newspaper articles:
Wheeling Daily Intelligencer,  January 7th, 1890: Mr. Reymann Notifies The Board of Commissioners That He Will Ask For An Order of Injunction
Wheeling Daily Intelligencer,  January 18th, 1890: Arguments Commenced
Wheeling Daily Intelligencer,  March 18th, 1890: A Jail Site Secured
Wheeling Daily Register,  Aug. 17, 1892: At the New Jail
Wheeling Daily Register,  Oct. 29, 1892: The Date Changed


Government & Public Service  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

Services and Locations