Opened in 1904 and was enlarged in 1908, the Victoria Theater is the oldest operating theater in West Virginia. Originally a stage theater, over the years it hosted many famous performers such as W. C. Fields, George Burns, and Katherine Hepburn. In 1934, the Victoria Theater served for a short period as home to the WWVA Jamboree. It was converted into a movie theater in the 1950s. It closed in 1986 following the opening of the cinema in the Ohio Valley Mall in St. Clairsville. The theater was purchased by Stan Klos in 1988 and renovations were begun in the old theater. Earl Brown bought the theater in 1995 and has for many years run a vaudeville variety show.
▶ Victoria Theater, 1228 Market Street
Materials in the Wheeling Room: (non-circulating - ask for access at reference desk)
OCPL appreciates the generosity of patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials. Due to the number of items donated, limited staff, and limited space to house materials, the OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations and encourage reading our Donation Policies before donating: