Virginia Theatre in Wheeling
Operated by the Dipson Theatres chain, the Virginia Theatre was opened in 1908 and was at one time the largest theater in West Virginia. On opening night, January 20, 1908, the play "Round the Clock" was presented. A longtime host of Wheeling radio station WWVA's "Jamboree,” live broadcasts of the popular country music show were held at the Virginia from 1934-1936, and again from 1946-1962. Following a final performance in the Virginia on July 14, 1962, the Jamboree moved to the Rex Theatre, it's home until 1965.
Following the last show on July 14, 1962, theater closed its doors. It had been purchased in May of 1962 by the 12th Street Garage Co. It was demolished the following September to be used as a parking lot.
➤ Virginia Theater, 82 12th St. (Demolished -- now a parking lot)
Materials in the Library's Wheeling Room: (non-circulating - ask for access at reference desk)
Materials in the Library's Archives: (non-circulating, view by appointment only*)
*Call 304-232-0244 or send an email to make an appointment to view archival materials.