Court Theatre in Wheeling
The Court Theatre was located on the first floor of the Board of Trade Building. It opened its doors in September 1902 with the musical comedy Miss Simplicity. The theatre hosted vaudeville shows and plays into the 1930s, featuring legends such as Lionel, John, and Ethel Barrymore, Frank Mansfield, and Harry Houdini. Though the Board of Trade Building still stands today, the Court Theatre closed in 1982.
▶ Read recollections of the Court Theatre written in 1938 (News-Register article, March 20, 1938)
Also see: Board of Trade Building
▶ 1909: The Merry Widow
(March 29-April 1, 1909)
▶ The Court Theater: 1913-14 Season
▶ 80 12th Street (was located inside the Board of Trade Building)
▼ Library Resources
Materials in the Wheeling Room: (non-circulating - ask for access at reference desk)
Materials in the Library's Archives: (non-circulating, view by appointment only*)
*Call 304-232-0244 or send an email to make an appointment to view archival materials.
Archiving Wheeling Blog (www.archivingwheeling.org):