Twelfth (12th) Street Garage in Wheeling
The Twelfth Street Garage Co. was organized in 1920 by president C. A. Vaden; vice president H. S. Bradley; and secretary-treasurer Tel O'Donnel, with plans to build a 5-story fireproof reinforced concrete garage. Wheeling architect Charles W. Bates was hired to design the structure with the R. R. Kitchen Company contracting.
On January 20, 1922, The Twelfth Street Garage officially opened.
The Wheeling Intelligencer reported that day:
Wheeling's biggest and most-up-date garage will be thrown open to the public this morning. The Twelfth Street garage, located opposite the Virginia theatre, will be open for business and already arrangements have been made to handle a large number of cars. The new garage, which cost approximately $200,000 is a handsome five-story building, absolutely fireproof. There are accommodations for 250 automobiles, 50 to each floor. All cars kept in the building will be taken from either floor by winding runways, there being no elevator, except for the passengers.
An elaborate program for the customers has been arranged there being daily inspection service free, while several attendants will be about the place all the time to change tires and do similar work. No repair work will be done, however. On the first floor, there will be a branch of the Spears & Riddle company, where supplies will be kept.
▶ 77-81 12th Street, Wheeling
Materials in the Library's Archives: (non-circulating, view by appointment only*)
*Call 304-232-0244 or send an email to make an appointment to view archival materials.