This twelve-story structure was designed by Wheeling architect Frederick F. Faris for brewer Henry Schmulbach around 1904 and construction was completed in 1907. The Schmulbach Building was considered West Virginia's largest office building upon completion.
Contractors were as follows:
Frederick F. Faris - Architect
A. T. B. Somerville - Chief Engineer
Otto Barth - Mechanical Engineer
R. W. Kyle - Plumbing and Heating
Caldwell & Drake - General Contractors
Riverside Bridge Co. - Steel Contractors
Martin Brick Co., Pittsburgh, Pa. - Face Brick
Philip Carey Co. - Roofing
Wheeling Wall Plaster Co. - Plaster
L. Schrieber & Sons, Cincinnati - Ornamental Iron
Otis Elevator Co., Pittsburg, Pa. - Elevators
When the building opened in 1907, A. M. Hamilton was the Renting Agent.
▶ View a promotional booklet for the Schmulbach Building circa ~1907 showing floor plans for all 12 floors.
The building was purchased by Wheeling Steel in the 1940s and became the company's headquarters. Wheeling Steel merged with Pittsburgh Steel in 1968, creating the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Company, or Wheeling-Pitt. Today, though the building has been empty since 2013, it is still commonly known as the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Building. It remains the tallest building in Wheeling.