Built in 1927. A late Classical Revival Lodge in Renaissance/Beaux-Arts style, this building had Mythological and Classical motifs in its frieze.
In 1989, the Pythian Lodge Building was demolished to create a plaza park site for West Virginia Northern Community College (housed in the old B&O Building). Three pediments from the lodge were preserved, set on brick piers, and used to form gateways to the College Square Plaza. Designed by the Wheeling architecture firm of Shaeffer and Madama, the plaza won an honorable mention from the West Virginia Chapter of the AIA in 1989.
▶ More history coming soon.
▶ SE Corner of 16th & Market Streets (Demolished - now a courtyard for West Virginia Northern Community College. Elements from the building were salvaged and used to create vaulted entrances into the courtyard).
Materials in the Library: ▶ Vertical File:Pythian Building, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
OCPL appreciates the generosity and thoughtfulness of its many patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials to the Library. Because of the overwhelming number of items donated, the limited amount of staff time to handle these donations, and limited space to house the donated materials, OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations of books, historical materials, and other materials of value. Please read more about our Donation Policies: