Sign Up For News And Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:







Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Mobile Phone:
Notice​CURBSIDE SERVICES AVAILABLE - STAFF ANSWERING PHONES - LIBRARY REMAINS CLOSED TO PUBLIC

First State Capitol Building


Places of Wheeling Icon
➤  WHEELING HISTORY  ➤  PLACES  ➤  HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE  

First State Capitol Building Quick Links

History  |   ➤ Location   |   ➤ Images   |   ➤ Newspaper Articles   |   ➤ Additional Resources   


First State Capitol Building History

Linsly Institute Building, History of Wheeling city and Ohio County, West Virginia and representative citizens, edited and compiled by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902. In 1859, Linsly Institute, incorporated in 1814, erected a new three-story structure, still standing at 1413 Eoff Street.

Upon statehood in 1863, government officials leased the building and it served as the first state capitol building of West Virginia until 1870. When the state capitol moved from Charleston back to Wheeling in May of 1875, Linsly Institute once again served as the state capitol building until the new facility on Chapline and 16th Street was completed in 1876. 

Prior to statehood, this building was also used by the Restored State of Virginia for two legislative sessions.

The Linsly campus moved to Thedah Place was 1925, and the property was purchased by the Bertschy Funeral Home. Additional wings were added to the building while it served as a funeral home.

The Bertschy Memorial Mortuary building was purchased by the Medical Arts Corporation in March of 1961.

Today, the building, now called the "First State Capitol Building" currently serves as the home of Wheeling law firm Cassidy, Cogan, Shapell & Voegelin, L.C.; The WALS Foundation, and the Northern Panhandle Bureau of West Virginia Public Broadcasting. 


Location

NW corner of 15th & Eoff Street (1413 Eoff Street)


Images

Linsly Institue Building  |  1st State Capitol Building of West Virginia


Newspaper Articles

First State Capitol Will Once Again Change HandsWheeling Intelligencer, Tuesday, March 21st, 1961   


Library Resources

Materials in the Wheeling Room: (non-circulating - ask for access at reference desk) 

➤ Vertical File: Wheeling Schools A-Z
➤ Vertical File: Linsly Institute

Materials in the Library Archives & Special Collections: (non-circulating - access by appointment only, call 304-232-0244.) 


Historic Architecture  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

This document was last modified .
-Information on this page compiled by sduffy & erothenbuehler

Services and Locations