Dunbar School History
Built in 1926.
-from "A Collection About Ohio County Public Schools," Levering C. Bonar, 1978.
The Triadelphia District Board of Education bought 1.5 acres from the Wheeling Realty Company for $736.80 on the National Road near “S” Bridge to locate this school. When the negro and white races were segregated, this was intended for the negro elementary school of this district. There was play space back of the school and some shrubbery in front, but there was little effort to beautify the school before the County Unit.
At first there was the outside dry toilets and a pumping the yard was the water supply, but later toilet rooms were built inside the school building. There were two excellent classrooms, upstairs. The downstairs had a furnace which supplied heat through a hot-air gravity system. On this first floor also was a large room for play, community meetings and later hot lunches.
The building has not been used for school since desegregation, but is used as a utility and repair shop by the School Board.
The building is now under private ownership and has housed a tanning salon and hair salon.
▶ 3637 National Rd., Triadelphia, WV (now privately owned)
No images at this time.
Materials in the Library's Wheeling Room (non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk)
▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Schools A-Z, compiled by OCPL staff
▶ A Collection About Ohio County Public Schools, Bonar, Levering C., 1978. Call#: Wheeling 379.75414 B64c
▶ Educational survey of Wheeling, West Virginia: a report of a survey of the public schools of the Independent School District of Wheeling, West Virginia, made at the request of the Board of School Commissioners, under the direction of the United States Commissioner of Education," 1921. Call#: Wheeling 371.010975414 Ed83 1921