Sign Up For News And Updates

Your Name and E-mail
First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:

Your Address and Mobile
Mobile Phone:

Edgwood/Edgington Lane School

Places of Wheeling Icon

▶ Edgington Lane School Quick Links

    ▼ History  |   ▼ Location   |   ▼ Images   |   ▼ Additional Resources  

Edgington Lane School History

In 1893, two lots were purchased on Edgington Lane and a two-room frame structure was erected. The first school session in the building, with teachers J. H. Lazear and Miss Hallie Baird, was held in 1894. The building caught fire in 1899 and was destroyed. School was taught in a private house the rest of the year while a four-room structure was built upon the site of the old one. The school was once more in operation in September 1900. A fifth room was added in 1902.

Edgington Lane was incorporated June 14, 1905, as the town of Edgwood. In 1905 bonds were issued to provide for an addition of four rooms to the school building; these were ready for occupancy in September 1906.

▶ Read an early "History of Edgewood Graded School," by H. L. Pedicord, former Principal.

-from "A Collection About Ohio County Public Schools,"  Levering C. Bonar, 1978, pg. 80.

EDGINGTON LANE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL  — Triadelphia District  — 1906-1977

This school occupies a half square. There was a small well kept lawn in front and an asphalt surfaced playground to the right, which was well provided with equipment and fenced to protect children from the busy street. The building is a two story, red brick structure, fireproof in walls and furnace room only. It was built in 1906 and formerly used for a high school. There were six classrooms, an office, rest room, and an auditorium on the first two floors above the ground. In the basement are located the furnace, two playrooms, two large toilet rooms, a workroom, and storage space. The classrooms were lighted from both the left and rear, and the floors were maple. There was a belfry above the front double door entrance.


  • H. L. Pedicord: ??-??
  • P. G. Buck: 1937-1941
  • Donald Powell: 1941-1942
  • Lydia Clemens: 1942-1968
  • Thomas Innocenti: 1968-19??


▶ 110 Edginton Lane (demolished, now Edgington Lane playground)


Edgington Lane Public School

Library Resources

▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Schools A-Z, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
▶ "Wheeling Rediscovered: a bicentennial project of Ohio County's public, private and parochial school : essays, sketches and photographs on Wheeling's past, present and future," 1976. Call#: 975.415 W52wr
▶ A Collection About Ohio County Public Schools, Bonar, Levering C., 1978. Call#: Wheeling 379.75414 B64c, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
▶ Educational survey of Wheeling, West Virginia: a report of a survey of the public schools of the Independent School District of Wheeling, West Virginia, made at the request of the Board of School Commissioners, under the direction of the United States Commissioner of Education," 1921, Call#: Wheeling 371.010975414 Ed83 1921, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.

Schools  |  Historic Architecture  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

Services and Locations