Ritchie School (8th Ward) History
- From "A Collection About Ohio County Public Schools," Bonar, Levering C., 1978.
The present Ritchie School, built in 1926, is a beautiful and substantial structure. It contained originally 28 classrooms, residential quarters for the caretaker, spacious auditorium with stage to accommodate mass activities including basketball. There were suites for rooms for industrial arts, home economics and space for a large library. The offices, too, are in keeping with this fine educational structure. It is the only public school (1977) to have a swimming pool. Recently a hot lunch room and kitchen have been added.
Preceding 1926, Ritchie School was the oldest school in what is now Wheeling, built in Wheeling, built in 1846. The McKinley School at 44th and Eoff was an annex of Ritchie. Ritchie District was annexed by Wheeling in 1872.
▶ List of Eighth Ward/Ritchie School Principals
▶ Main Building: S. E. cor. 37th and Woods.
▶ Annex: N. E. cor. 44th and Eoff.
▶ Vertical File: Ritchie School, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Schools A-Z, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
▶ "Wheeling Rediscovered: a bicentennial project of Ohio County's public, private and parochial school : essays, sketches and photographs on Wheeling's past, present and future," 1976.
Call#: 975.415 W52wr
▶ A Collection About Ohio County Public Schools, Bonar, Levering C., 1978.
Call#: Wheeling 379.75414 B64c, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
▶ Educational survey of Wheeling, West Virginia: a report of a survey of the public schools of the Independent School District of Wheeling, West Virginia, made at the request of the Board of School Commissioners, under the direction of the United States Commissioner of Education," 1921,
Call#: Wheeling 371.010975414 Ed83 1921, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.