The first Scottish Rite Cathedral was built on the corner of 14th and Byron Streets in 1908. It was destroyed in a fire March 5, 1915. A second Cathedral building, designed by Wheeling architect Frederick F. Faris was built upon the same grounds in 1916. "This apparent disaster proved to be not unmixed with blessing as the new cathedral which took its place is much more pretentious and much better equipped for Masonic purposes, housing as it does all of the Masonic bodies in Wheeling." 
More history coming soon.
▶ 83 14th Street (NE corner of 14th and Byron Streets)
Materials in the Library's Wheeling Room: (non-circulating - ask for access at reference desk)
OCPL appreciates the generosity and thoughtfulness of its many patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials to the Library. Because of the overwhelming number of items donated, the limited amount of staff time to handle these donations, and limited space to house the donated materials, OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations of books, historical materials, and other materials of value. Please read more about our Donation Policies: