YMCA In Wheeling
The YMCA in Wheeling was organized December 27, 1884, and incorporated March 11, 1885. The former Maxwell residence on the corner of Market and 20th Streets was a gift of Mrs. James Maxwell and her daughter to the Y.M.C.A. of Wheeling. The building at this location was dedicated and opened January 11, 1889.
-from the 1904 Wheeling City Directory:
"The building is equipped with reading room, parlor, game room, hall, gymnasium, baths, swimming pool, bowling alleys and education facilities.
"The object of the Association is the physical, social, intellectual and spiritual improvement of young men. Membership privileges are open to all young men of good moral character."
The Maxwell residence building was replaced by the larger Y.M.C.A. building completed in the spring of 1910 upon the same location. Designed by Wheeling architect Frederick F. Faris, the five-story brick building is was 103 feet long by 78 feet deep and trimmed with terra-cotta ornaments. It was built at a cost approximately $150,000.00. A postcard from the era boasted, "It is one of the most beautiful and elaborately equipped buildings of its kind in the country."
Today, the building — which no longer houses the YMCA — is called the Maxwell Center.
In 1970, the Wheeling branch of the YMCA moved to a modern facility in the Elm Grove area of Wheeling (55 Lounez Ave.).
▶ Corner of 20th and Market Streets (Now the Maxwell Center — the modern YMCA Building is located at 55 Lounez Ave. in Elm Grove.)
▶ No news items at this time.
▶ Vertical File: YMCA: Young Men's Christian Association, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
▶Archives Vertical File: YMCA Building, please call 304-232-0244 to make an appointment or ask at reference desk.
▶ Special Collections: Young Men's Work: a brief history of the Young Men's Christian Association, general and local, with illustrations., Archives Special Collections [Wheeling 267.3 Y84], non-circulating, must make an appointment to view materials.