Sign Up For News And Updates

First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:







Address:
City:
State:
ZIP:
Mobile Phone:
Notice​CURBSIDE SERVICE STARTS JUNE 8 - STAFF ANSWERING PHONES - LIBRARY REMAINS CLOSED TO PUBLIC

YWCA Blue Triangle Branch


Places of Wheeling Icon
 ➤  WHEELING HISTORY  ➤  PLACES  ➤  CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS

➤ YWCA Blue Triangle Branch Quick Links

    ➤ History  |   ➤ Location  |  ➤ Images   |   ➤ Newspaper Articles   |  ➤ Additional Resources    


YWCA Blue Triangle Branch In Wheeling

In 1921, Wheeling was a segregated city. As such, the Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA), an organization founded in the mid-nineteenth century to help women, was not exempt from the so-called “Jim Crow” laws designed to keep blacks and whites legally separate. But the YWCA was ahead of its time in promoting racial equality, and in 1921, Wheeling’s YWCA sought to extend its protections and advocacy to African American girls and women.

Among those involved in the founding of this new branch were Mrs. Sarah Robinson, Mrs. Mindel, Mrs. Mary Banks, and Miss Mary L. McMechen.

Miss Escobeda Sarreals was named executive director, April 4, 1921, and began organizing Girl Reserve Clubs at Lincoln School. After a contest, the name, “Blue Triangle Branch of the Young Women’s Christian Association,” was chosen – a blue triangle having long been one of the YWCA’s iconic symbols.

The Blue Triangle Branch officially opened on June 21, 1921 at 1041 Chapline Street. Miss Sarreals resigned October 12, 1922, to take a position as the Girl's Work Secretary in New York City. Miss Clementine Bond of Boston, MA., was appointed the second executive secretary in December of 1922. 

In 1926, the Blue Triangle Brach moved to 1035 Chapline, then in 1943, to 108 12th Street.

In addition to Girl Reserve, committees included Young Adult, Education, Interracial and Intercultural, World Service, Leadership Training, Membership, House, Hospitality and Room Registry, Finance, World Fellowship and Y-Teen. Classes included sewing, basketry, manicuring, folk dancing, ukulele, photography, figurine painting, crafts, typing, shorthand, arts, gym work, dancing for children, tray painting, dressmaking, and bridge.

Wheeling’s YWCA was fully integrated in June 1956 at 1100 Chapline Street. 


Locations 

 1921-1926: 1041 Chapline Street
➤ 1926-1943: 1035 Chapline Street
1943-1956: 108 12th Street


Images

Blue Triangle

Newspaper Articles

➤ No articles at this time. 


Additional Resources

Vertical File: YWCA: Young Women's Christian Association, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
➤ Special Collection: YWCA Collection, 1910s-2000s. Unprocessed Archival Collection, non-circulating, must make an appointment to view materials. 



African-American Wheeling  |  Civic Organizations  |  Places of Wheeling Home  |  Wheeling History Home  |  OCPL Home  

alt : OCPL Disclaimer

This document was last modified .
-Information on this page compiled by sduffy & erothenbuehler

Services and Locations