The ferry boat "Charon" was built in 1889 and owned and operated by the Bellaire & Wheeling Ferry Co. The "Charon" was part of a two-boat fleet, along with the "Ruth Ann," that ran ferry service from Bellaire, Ohio, to the Forty-Third Street, Bloch Bros. Tobacco dock, Wheeling, W. Va., and to Seventh or Ferry Street, Benwood, W. Va. The building of the Bellaire-Benwood Bridge, which could accommodate traffic loads 10 times what the ferry boats could, would be the end of the business and the demise of the "Charon," which sideswiped a pillar on the bridge in the summer of 1929 and sank.
OCPL appreciates the generosity and thoughtfulness of its many patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials to the Library. Because of the overwhelming number of items donated, the limited amount of staff time to handle these donations, and limited space to house the donated materials, OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations of books, historical materials, and other materials of value. Please read more about our Donation Policies: