The Sam Craig was a steel hull, sternwheel towboat that ran the Ohio River. She was built at Midland, Pennsylvania in 1929 by the Midland Barge Company. She was named Sam Craig for the head of the Midland Barge Company who had died in an airplane crash in February 1928. She was 151 x 34.7 x 6 feet and had 4 return flue boilers with compound, condensing engines, 15's by 30's with a 7-foot stroke that produced 750 horsepower. Her paddle wheel was 19 feet 4 inches in diameter, 23 feet long, working 13 buckets of 40-inch dip. The Craig was owned by the Union Barge Line Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania from 1929 to 1948 when she was purchased by O. F. Shearer and Sons. She was dismantled in 1957.
OFFICERS & CREW: 1929: Captain John L. Kerr; Unknown dates: Captains Albert Carroll, Moten Stanley, Raymond Chambers, Homer Payton (masters).
OCPL appreciates the generosity and thoughtfulness of its many patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials to the Library. Because of the overwhelming number of items donated, the limited amount of staff time to handle these donations, and limited space to house the donated materials, OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations of books, historical materials, and other materials of value. Please read more about our Donation Policies: