The African American Pythian Building in Wheeling
Built in 1928 by the African American Pythian fraternal group, The Pythian Building continued in operation into the fifties. The Pythian Theatre, later called the Fedo Theatre, served the African-American community into the mid-1950s. In addition to facilities for the Pythian organization, the building contained a restaurant, initially called the Pythian Restaurant, but from 1938 on called The Palm Garden. The Pythian (sometimes Fraternity) Barbershop and the Friendship Billiard Parlor were other tenants.
▶ African-American Knights of Pythias Group Erects New Building, 1928 (The Afro-American [Baltimore], March 17, 1928)
▶ African America Pythian Building Opens, December 20, 1928, (Wheeling Daily Intelligencer, December 17th, 1928)
▶ 1025 Chapline St., Wheeling