The old Odd Fellows Hall was constructed on the corner of 12th and Chapline Streets in 1859. From 1863 to 1870, the building served as temporary quarters for Linsly Military Institute cadets, whose own building was being used as the capitol of the new state of West Virginia. Most of the original Odd Fellows Hall was destroyed by fire in 1950.
A more modern two-story Odd Fellows Hall now sits on the site. The corner space now houses the Metropolitan Citi Grill. It was the longtime site of Elby's Restaurant and later Lanos and Kraus Delicatessen.
▶ SW corner of 12th and Chapline Streets (Original 1859 building destroyed by fire in 1950.)
Materials in the Library: ▶ Vertical File: Wheeling Odd Fellows, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.
OCPL appreciates the generosity and thoughtfulness of its many patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials to the Library. Because of the overwhelming number of items donated, the limited amount of staff time to handle these donations, and limited space to house the donated materials, OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations of books, historical materials, and other materials of value. Please read more about our Donation Policies: