Generally considered to be the the first building in Wheeling, this cabin was thought to be built in 1769 by Ebenezer Zane. Legend has it that this is the cabin to which Elizabeth Zane made the run to for gun powder during the siege of Ft. Henry, September 11, 1782. The cabin was demolished around 1908.
▶ The cabin was located at 22 Lane 7 between 10th and 11th Streets and Main and Market, in what is now often referred to as Stone's Alley.
OCPL appreciates the generosity and thoughtfulness of its many patrons in donating books, historical materials, and other library materials to the Library. Because of the overwhelming number of items donated, the limited amount of staff time to handle these donations, and limited space to house the donated materials, OCPL must restrict the donations accepted. We welcome donations of books, historical materials, and other materials of value. Please read more about our Donation Policies: