Glessner - Stifel House History
-From the National Road Corridor Historic District Nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places
This outstanding 1902 Neoclassical home was built by William L. Glessner, president of the Laughlin Nail Co. He resided here only a few short years before building a new home farther east on National Road near Park View Lane in 1909. The second owner was George E. Stifel
, who operated a dry goods store on Main Street. Stifel was the grandson of Johann Stifel
who founded the Stifel Calico Works
in Wheeling. The house stayed in the Stifel family until 1962. It was sold two years later to the First Christian Church which has a modern sanctuary fronting the National Road taking part of the former front yard.
The clapboard residence is two and a half stories with five bays. It is sited on a rise of land with a sandstone retaining wall as the porch foundation. There is a center half-circular two story porch with four colossal Corinthian columns supporting a deep entablature. On the second floor is a circular balcony. The center door has a fanlight transom. The windows are all 1/1 double hung with shutters. On the low hip roof are two round arch dormers. To the south is a open porch off the "first floor with Corinthian column supports.
▶ More history coming soon.
▶ 1341 National Road, Wheeling, WV
Materials in the Library:
▶ Vertical File: Stifel family, Wheeling Room, non-circulating, ask for access at the reference desk.